On Saturday, November 25, 2017, the Arab American National Museum was honored with a TAKREEM award for Cultural Excellence in Amman, Jordan. TAKREEM, founded in 2009, aims to “honor Arab’s accomplishments and bring Arab achievers to the forefront of the globe stage, defying the negative perceptions that have plagued the region and becoming a source of inspiration to the Arab youth in their search for role models.” We are honored and humbled to be a TAKREEM 2017 laureate. This prestigious award for cultural excellence is a testament to the hard work and vast contributions of all those who support the mission of AANM. It’s incredibly inspiring to know our work is being recognized abroad and across the Arab diaspora.
In attendance for the award ceremony at The Crystal Palace was HM Queen Noor Al Hussein, members of The Hashemite Royal Family, and more than 1000 invites from different parts of the world. (Read more about the event at The Jordan Times: Arab success stories celebrated at TAKREEM awards). In addition to AANM, the following laureates were recognized for their achievements:
- Mr. Ghanim Al-Muftah – Qatar for the Young Entrepreneur Award
- Jusoor – Syria for the Humanitarian and Civic Services Award
- Mrs. Maali Alasousi – Kuwait for the Outstanding Arab Woman Award
- Dr. Nahla Hwalla – Lebanon for the Excellence in Education Award
- Ms. Sarah Toumi – Tunisia for the Environmental Development and Sustainability Award
- Dr. Zohair Al Halees – KSA for the Scientific and Technological Achievement Award
- Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture – USA for the International Contribution to Arab Society Award
- Mr. Raymond Debbané – Lebanon for the Corporate Leadership Award
Additionally, HRH Prince Sultan bin Salman (KSA) and Mrs. Melek El Nimer (Turkey) received a Special Distinction Award, and Mr. Maroun Semaan (Lebanon) was posthumously bestowed a Lifetime Achievement Award. The “Legacy Award” was given for the first time to the memory of HM King Hussein bin Talal.
The TAKREEM 2017 Jury Board was composed of Dr. Nouha Alhegelan, HE Dr Lakhdar Brahimi, Mr. Samir Brikho, Mr. Carlos Ghosn, Mr. Marc Levy, Dr. Akef Maghraby, Lady Hayat Palumbo, HE Sheikha Paula Al Sabah, Dr. Ahmed Heikal, Mr. Issa Abu-Issa, Mrs Nora Joumblatt, HE Sheikha Hala Al Khalifa, Mr. Riad Al-Sadik, Mr. Raja Sidawi, HRH Princess Alia Tabbaa and Sheikh Saleh Al-Turki.
The TAKREEM 2017 Honorary Board was presided by HM Queen Noor Al-Hussein and includes HE Dr. Hanan Ashrawi, HE Dr. Farouk Hosny, Dr. Suad Juffali, HE Sheikha Mai Al Khalifa, HRH Princess Banderi AlFaisal, Mr. Samer Khoury, Mrs. Latifa Kosta, HE Dr. Amre Moussa and HE Dr. Leila Sharaf.